Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio system controller coding direction and As Done project
Hi Darrin,
  It did take a great deal of time to do the entire project but it was definitely worth it. When I first tried to use the system about 6 years ago it was a mess. I had spent some time rewiring and labeling which helped for a while, but this was the solution I had in mind. I should note as well that I designed and made the equipment rack plus the pull out shelf as the closet that the equipment is in is so narrow. This allows me to turn the rack 90 degrees counter clockwise to service the audio connections.
  The other thing that I enjoyed doing was the documentation. I had to learn how to use OneNote and also had to learn more about Excel in order to make a table of the ascii commands to initiate with each of the selected modes. I tried several ways and settled on the attached as it conveyed exactly what was needed for each mode, input and for each of the 4 mics that are used.
Bob D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is the final submission for this project, the actual physical layout for the system.
Bob D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice Bob. I get how you can send different settings to your sound system with your controller. But how you get that sound system to respond to the commands I do not see how you did it.

Very nice documentation. You made this project very professional.
Hi Darrin,
If you check out these images of the pages that are in the mixer you will see what is taking place.
I can set a button with whatever changes or levels I desire and recall it when needed by sending the ascii equivalent.
"B" is recall for button 1.
I can also assign a button to recall a Preset as well...I use the Presets to select the outputs to the 4 zones to select the mode.
Note that when separated, the slider for the Patio zone is set to -60 dB...effectively off.
Presets are 1-7 and highlighted in green on the spreadsheet.

It looks complicated when you look at the big picture, but when you break it down there are several changes that take place one at a time and in a single sequence depending on what is selected.
Main program levels are for the Main seating area and the Patio amps.
Zone program levels are for the Caller area amp.
Aux output levels are for the Stage area amp.
Once the preset is chosen , a source selection is next...Line input 3 (L11) and 4 (K10) take care of setting those levels.
Only one or the other or no source (P15) can be selected here.
The cordless mics are Line 1 and Line 2 inputs.
Depending on the mode, I set the levels different as the mics are used in different areas of the community building for each type of mode.
In Bingo mode the mic will be used all over the floor and the level doesn't need to be real loud , other than at the Caller area where the Caller needs to hear the numbers clearly to confirm a bingo.
In Social mode , the wireless mic will be -60 dB at the stage , but loud on the rest of the floor.
The area in brown on the spread sheet shows the levels for each button associated with mic levels and input levels.

See the user manual http://c353616.r16.cf1.rackcdn.com/SPM723_Manual.pdf
See page 4 and page 8 for a picture of the Mixer and Button screens.

To explain a single command:
Bingo Mode , with DJ Mixer , Separated
I send these ascii commands:
e35- sets all output sliders to -60dB
P15- sets Line inputs 3-7 to -60dB
F5- sets wireless mics 1 and 2 to -60dB
Now that all is turned down ( in essence ) the actual commands  can be set:
x23- selects Preset 5 - Bingo mode separate - this livens Mic 2 which is corded mic at Caller area as well
L11- selects DJ Mixer
E4- selects wireless 2 with levels for a bingo callback mic
G6- selects wireless 1 with levels for a bingo callback mic
And we are done!
Thanks for following along Darrin, it has been fun developing and presenting this project.
Bob D
Hi Bob, congratulation to the completion of the project. Btw. just curious, why did you wire some pushbuttons as active low and some as active high ?

Also for future projects, check this out, a time saver for using character LCDs: this I2C/LCD interface using PCF8574 - it is soldered directly to LCD, has contrast trimpot and backlight transistor built-in so it only needs 4 wires to connect character LCD.
Hi Roman and Darrin,
I had joined two projects that had opposite input logic quite some time ago. I never thought much about it until you mentioned it just now.
The I2C board would be a time saver and very cost effective as well.I will keep it in mind for next time.
Bob D
Thanks Bob for clarifying. So it is a special mixer you bought that is able to accept electronic code to adjust itself. I was assuming it was just a normal manual audio mixer. That spm723 sounds like a great mixer to have, that you can program it is awesome.
Hi Darrin,
If you ever want to play around with a similar Biamp Advantage VRAM ( variable resource auto mixer) let me know.
I have several and you can have one no charge. You use the same idea of programming buttons and presets that you see in this project.
I have two of them installed in Adam's house and they have been working for about 3 years now.
If you are into audio, it is a lot of fun. Add a few beers and it is even more fun!
Bob D
Thank you very much Bob. I will let you know if I do.
Hello all,
The offer for the VRAM is good for any member of our group who wants to experiment as I have 4 that I could part with.
Bob D