Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stairwell LED light PIR activated
This is a recent project to light the stairs that lead from the main floor to the upper floor. Using the existing 3 way light switch is ok if you are going to be in the area for a while, but most times you are just passing through. I thought about it for a while and decided to build a PIR activated low voltage LED light. I coded it with an Arduino Pro Mini , and then when I liked what I was seeing I ported it to an ATTiny85.
I tried a few on delay times and opted for about 10 seconds which works well. The PIR is also re-triggerable, so it will remain on as long as there is activity.This light is hardwired with a fused 12 vdc feed from my Home Automation hub.  
I removed it for a few days to do some minor tweaks, and my wife told me how much she appreciated having the light after walking up and down dark stairs again. We have been using the light for over a month, and it works great!That is when I know when a project is successful!  
Bob D

Attached Files
.jpg   Stair light front view.JPG (Size: 62.19 KB / Downloads: 36)
.jpg   Stair light inside view.JPG (Size: 108.03 KB / Downloads: 39)
.jpg   Stair light activated.JPG (Size: 62.36 KB / Downloads: 41)
Nice idea to use smoke detector, as lightbox. Be nice to see a pic of it beaming on the stairs.
You mentioned Home automation Hub. In the future I would love to see how that works and how it is wired throughout your house.
What is your home automation hub ?
--------------- ---- --- -- -  -
If things weren't meant to be modified, they would not come with wires attached.
Jon:
The Automation hub is still more concept than actual at this point. All my cabling in the house routes to the laundry/ electrical room.
I had a 19 channel analog RF head end Sat / Antenna distribution system that filled a small cupboard . With digital RF HDTV antenna I only need 1/3 the space so I am planning on moving some of my control projects over. Basically if it is going to stay as part of the infrastructure in the house, build it proper and document it such that anyone with basic electronic skills can service any device. I tend to make "packages" with all the information for each "as done" project. This is helpful as well when I want to reuse ideas and code for something similar.

Darrin:
As far as a picture of the beam from the LED light, it is hard to do it justice with the camera I have and my photographic ability. This works great in my application as back split homes have average of six stairs, so the beam only needs to be width of stairwell ( 3' )  by about 8'.
The actual spread is more like 10' diameter which works great as it covers the landing at the top and bottom of the stair.   
Bob D
I have a similar "hub" right now, all my switch and relay wires come down to the server room on cat5 cables to bix punchdowns, right now the control wiring are either cross connected with power, network all goes to patch bays and switches, there is a coax patch panel but basically unused now except one incoming internet. and the alarm stuff is patched into 50pr cables to the alarm boxes. This is also where I have my 12v power distribution as well. (yet another thing that needs upgrading)

Right now various parts of it are being upgraded - 12v - lighting all gradually converting to led, batteries and charger need replacing, going to switching power supply from transformer I have now. Need to get poe on a bunch of lines and I want that centrally battery backed - can't decide on ups or 48v battery bank.

Thinking about decentralizing some of the control stuff as well.
If things weren't meant to be modified, they would not come with wires attached.
Hi Jon, 
Things change so fast; coax was a must and now it is not so important.
I may actually remove some of my Sat and Antenna cabling that I know I will no longer need. 
Wired Ethernet has more application now especially with POE applications.
I also use some BIX wafers as it is a good way of mapping cables and keeping them neat.
I have more wire ran than I will likely need; it was just convenient to do at the time.

Hi Darrin,
Here is a picture of the stairs lit up. Note that my phone does not have a flash, so I took 2 pictures.
The first picture did not have enough light to see anything at all , so i will not attach it here.
Then I took a picture while the light was active and this doesn't do it justice compared to what the human eye sees.
-it looks quite a bit darker in the picture than what I am seeing.  
Bob D

Attached Files
.jpg   Stairs active.JPG (Size: 22.69 KB / Downloads: 59)
re - things changing - I have an entire set of shielded cable I ran for video and audio use too, never even got around to terminating that, but its in the walls and staying now.

When I drew up the plans for the house originally I think there were something like 35-40 control points for lighting and I thought that was a lot - reality ended up with more like 150+ since I just kept adding stuff as I was building.

I was also budgeting lighting power based on at least 60-100w per fixture and now its nowhere near that so the wiring is all completely underutilized by at least a factor of 3-5x
Thanks Bob for the pic. To do exposure in low light conditions you need a manual camera, that can adjust aperture and time of exposure. Most cheap cameras do not have this feature. I recommend next camera you get has this capability. A DSLR is the best but will cost you, but it can take any type of picture. You will also need a tripod for the long exposure in low light so as to not blur the picture while the exposure takes a sec.
Usually even with a cell phone cam you can set the exposure time. I have never actually tried this but I have seen professionals use a little program that snaps a bunch of pics in a row at various settings and then all you need to do later is pick whichever ones worked and toss the rest. Its great now that taking a picture is essentially free. I can remember when getting a roll of film printed was a major investment. Not to mention once you picked a film speed you were committed for 24 or so frames.

My idea that I have yet to see someone actually do is make a digital camera that fits into an SLR camera body where the film pack would have gone but utilizes all the existing features of the camera. I know I have one collecting dust.