Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam stairs RGB with 4x PIR
This is an as done project with an updated version that is on a test bed on my bench. The goal was to add RGB lighting to each of the 14 stairs at my sons house. He was repairing and refacing the stairs, so we had full access above and below. 5050 RGB strip lighting was used with low current as ambient lighting was all that was required to see the steps. PIR detectors are installed in the baseboards at key points at the entrances to the stairs at the main floor and 2nd floor. There is also a LDR that disables the lighting when there is sufficient ambient light.

Theory of operation: V1 - as done version at house
-when LDR detects low light condition the PIR detectors are active and ready.
UP Direction PIR:
-if the main floor detector is activated, each stair will light in sequence going up the stairs with an incandescent hue that gives ample light to see each stair clearly.
-after about 20 seconds, the stairs will drop to a lower light level for an additional 15 seconds.
-if no other activity is detected, the stairs will extinguish one at a time; from the top down.
-if any other activity is detected during this sequence, the lighting will revert to the bright level.
DOWN Direction PIR:
-same as above but in reverse ( stairs light from the top down )

Theory of operation: V2 - test bed version on my test bench
-same as V1 with these additions:
-4 x PIR detectors now so the basement to main floor stairs can be added to the same controller
-added a jumper to select "Normal" and "Christmas red/ green" pattern.
-when there is no activity on the stairs the lights revert to every other stair being either red or green.
-when a PIR is activated, the stairs light to the the incandescent hue as in V1 
-after no PIR activity the lights return to the red green pattern 
-a "Good night" switch was added that will turn the lighting off until the next time it is triggered by the PIR

I must point out that this project is based on "The infinity portal" by Craig Lindley published in Nuts & Volts magazine August 2011.
I also received some personal help via email from Craig when I was having issues adapting his code to my application.
Thank you again Craig!

Attached Files
.jpg   Stairs active as done BD.JPG (Size: 114.17 KB / Downloads: 55)
.jpg   Adam Stairs Christmas pattern test bed.JPG (Size: 94.36 KB / Downloads: 53)
.jpg   Adam stairs schematic V2.JPG (Size: 40.85 KB / Downloads: 52)
Very very cool indeed. I would like to do something like that with my basement stairs. My step-son lives down there and he has to turn on the heavy wattage chandelier, and sometimes he leaves it on. Led lighting is one of my main interests in electronics. I would like to have my whole house lit up fancy like a house in a sci-fi movie. Ill put this project on my list, that is slowing growing towards something like Jons. Smile
Hi Darrin,
I put a great deal of thought into what is the best method to use for each area of Automation. Some areas ( like the stairs) need a limited amount of light for short duration. That was my reason for low voltage LED lighting. Other areas that have higher and varied usage benefit from off the shelf CSA certified product. I have Insteon product which is quite easy to control with Arduino. My friend Alan from GoodRobot http://www.goodrobot.com/  has an Arduino shield that I used for my "proof of concept" testing. This is a part of the Automation that is still more in the planning stages at this point. I view automation as a balance between convenience and cost saving. I try to place "cool factor" below the balance as that should support the motivation, but not drive it. Then I go for the acid test... what does the Mrs. think about the idea.      
Bob D